Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving with Dorie: Thanksgiving Twofer Pie


Wow! It's been forever since I've made a post. With school being busy just before Thanksgiving break, working for my mom this entire week and having hordes of family members come in from all over the U.S. (and having them stay over at my place), I just haven't had the time. Until now! And I'm happy to be back. This week, we were given an extension for this week's recipe challenge since everyone would be busy preparing their Turkey Day feasts. This week's recipe--a pumpkin and pecan pie combo (hence, the "twofer" nickname) chosen by Vibi of La Casserole Caree --was the perfect dessert for my family's meal last night. The recipe is featured on her blog and received pretty good reviews from my family, even though it shared counter space with my more-favored Macadamia Nut Pie (which I'll post about later).

I know a lot of people can't stand pumpkin, but I love, love, love it...especially at this time of the year. I thought it would make a sensational accompaniment to the traditional pecan pie. This is what the pie looked like after filling the partially-baked pie shell with the pumpkin filling and then topping it with the chopped pecans.


Here, the pecans are soaking in a bath of the pecan filling, which consisted of dark corn syrup, eggs, brown sugar and some other yummy goodness!

As rude as it was, I insisted on having the first slice. I have a HUGE family and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to take a test test so I could make a proper review. Now even though this pie was outdone by the aforementioned macadamia pie, it was delicious in it's own right. Others agreed. The pecan crust as well as the pie crust were so nicely crisped and the pumpkin neutralized the sweetness of the pecan filling. Perfecto! I'll definitely be making this one again!

Please stay tuned for more thanksgiving recipes. I've been doing so much cooking and baking lately that I'll be making posts for the next few days!

11 comments:

Madam Chow said...

Glad it worked so well - I'll be posting later today!

Madam Chow said...

Rats - I hit enter before I finished my post. Anyway, I was going to say that I understand about getting your slice first, especially after all the work you put in!

Jules Someone said...

Of course you should get the first slice! Nice pie!

vibi said...

Thank you very much Michelle, for participating with me this week... I'm glad I choose something that was totaly your cup of tea!
I'm glad everyone else enjoyed as much as you did too!
How could they not though, your pie looks so amazing!

Engineer Baker said...

I require the first piece normally as well - first for pics, then for eating :) It looks like a hit!

Pamela said...

Your pie looks great, but that Macadamia nut pie sounds FABULOUS. Can't wait to see that one. I just finished my post on this and I think I was expecting something more. I did like it, though.

Sabrina said...

okay so i admit im not the biggest pumpkin pie fan... but somehow whenever YOU make something, I want to try it! Nice job! :)

Melissa said...

That looks so pretty, Michelle! Great job! Can't wait to see the recipe for the macadamia nut pie - sounds yummy!

Misty said...

I love pumpkin pie, but I'm so-so on pecan pie. I'm always afraid the filling will pull my fillings out!

That pie looks delicious! And I'm glad to see you back!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the hectic life. Where in the world did 2007 go... and now 2008 is almost over?!?! Hope you had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

~Cat

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the hectic life. Where in the world did 2007 go... and now 2008 is almost over?!?! Hope you had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

~Cat