Friday, September 12, 2008

Operation Baking Gals

Okay, so today I received a really sweet comment about last week's TWD recipe challenge from Pamela of Cookies With Boys (thanks again, by the way!). I added her to my blog list and just took a quick browse through her blog, which is quite wonderful if I might add! Anyway, a post she made about a blog called Operation Baking Gals caught my eye and I decided to check it out.

If you want more information about Operation Baking Gals, go ahead and click on the link I've provided because I'm sure you'll find that it's just a wonderful group to get connected with. I found it even more appealing because groups of dedicated bakers, as with TWD, take turns baking cookies for a selection of soldiers overseas! When I was deployed, I always looked forward to care packages with freshly baked goods. Although we were grateful for the boxes and boxes AND BOXES of Girl Scout Cookies (which I really haven't been able to eat since then--it's been over 2 years), nothing beat the taste of wholesome, homemade goods--especially anything with chocolate! Seriously, people would get into fights over those kinds of care packages!

What's even better is when I emailed the group's host, Susan of She's Becoming DoughMessTic (cute name!), I asked her first if I could join and second, if I could add Malu's name to their list of soldiers and she so nicely obliged to both! I'm so happy about being a part of this group. Not only do I get to help brighten the lives of soldiers overseas, I get to do it for my husband and his wonderful group of teammates!

So come on! If you're looking for a way to show your support for our troops abroad, here's a great way to do it, especially if you're interested in doing more baking and in meeting more people! And isn't the Rosie the Riveter poster just a great theme for the group? I love it!

If anyone from Operation Baking Gals is reading this, thanks for bringing me on the team! I'm so excited to work with you all!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great thing to be a part of, and what a fabulous idea. I'm going to check it out!

Pamela said...

I'm so excited that you decided to do this! I really enjoy baking for the troops. I can't imagine what it must be like to be away from your loved ones for such a long period of time nor the stresses a soldier must experience. Baking is the least that I can do! :o)

webbie said...

Greetings from a fellow Barefoot Blogger and contributor to Operation Baking Gals. I love OBG because I love to bake cookies (I am threatened by things that rise, however) and DO.NOT.NEED.TO.EAT.COOKIES!

So I get to try cookie recipes and benefit from the amazing smell...and then get to send them far, far away from my hips and thighs.

Welcome aboard!