Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Classic Banana Bundt Cake by Dorie Greenspan


As I mentioned in the this week's Tuesdays With Dorie post (which I posted earlier today), I had an inkling that I was going to struggle with the creme brulee recipe. In all honesty, I didn't struggle. It just didn't come out the way I had wanted it to. Oh well, it happens! So, over the weekend I experimented with Dorie's Classic Banana Bundt Cake as a back-up to the creme brulee--in case it went haywire. The recipe came from Dorie's cookbook, Baking From My Home to Yours.


I happened to have some extremely ripe bananas to use for the recipe, all of which I mashed up and added to the fluffy batter. There was so much batter, I was afraid it wasn't going to fit into the bundt pan!




It was an early Sunday morning when I made this cake, so invited my family over to share a few slices of the cake with me before going to church. The cake was an instant hit and I have to admit that I had more than one slice. In fact, I've had a slice for breakfast every morning since then--and there's still enough for two more slices! Here's a picture of my grandma enjoying her slice of banana cake!


If you're bonkers for bananas, you definitely need to try this recipe! It is so moist and the sour cream truly accentuates the flavor of the bananas. The recipe can be found on page 190 of Dori's book.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks great, Michelle! This is a really delicious banana cake recipe. It's so moist. I was thinking about making this again. Mainly because I have so much frosting left over from those sandwich cookies I made the other day. I thought banana cake would taste great with it. Glad you all enjoyed the cake so much.

Melissa said...

That cake is gorgeous. I love bananas, and I bet the sour cream made it so rich and moist. Yum!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Glad this worked out for you! I toss my overripe bananas into the freezer, then pull them out when it's time to bake. The outside turns black and the inside turns kind of soupy but they work great in baked goods!