This is my second week participating in the online cooking group, French Fridays with Dorie. As I mentioned last week, we're taking Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook, Around My French Table, by storm--one recipe at a time. I've also mentioned before that this group is taking me completely outside my comfort zone as far as being in my kitchen is concerned. I mean, you can't get any more scary than French cooking...Julia Childs style! And just reading some of the recipes gives me the hee-bee jee-bees.
Lucky for us, we've been given a relatively easy start with last week's gougeres (simple cheese puffs) and now this week's mustard tart. I didn't realize that mustard is to the French what ketchup is to Americans. It's the condiment extraordinaire over there. This particular tart is a recipe of Gerard Jeannin, who owns a bed and breakfast in France called Les Charmilles. I hope to visit this place one day.
Tons of firsts occurred today (and by the way, I made this first thing this morning. I've been a little behind all week):
It was my first time (seriously) cutting carrots and leeks into matchsticks (it took me forever)
My first time making tart dough
Shoot...my first time making any kind of tart
What do you think?
Not too bad for my first try, eh?
This is how good the tart is...we ate it for breakfast and we finished the last of it a few hours ago (it's a little past 9:00 p.m.). It didn't even last the entire day. It was simply delicious. I used two different versions of dijon mustard (both Grey Poupon brands and one grainier than the other). You'd think the mustard flavor would be too overpowering. Not at all. And the carrots and leeks not only made for a beautiful presentation of color, they were so tender and tasty.
The tart was fabulous right out of the oven and (in both my husband's an my opinion) better cold. No joke! I am definitely going to make it again. And it was so simple. The hardest part for me was making the dough. I've never really liked dealing with dough...with this tart, pies...it doesn't matter. I don't think I'll ever be any good at it.
Unfortunately, group members aren't allowed to post recipes on here, but if you're really curious....GET THE BOOK!






4 comments:
Wow - those prep photos are wonderful! Yes, I made mini-match sticks. and those DID take forever. Don't they have a gadget for that??? :) Beautiful tart - and glad the firsts are now seconds! First time for a savory tart for me as well - nicely done!
** can you enable the "NAME/URL" in the comments secton? It's in the "SETTINGS" on the dashboard - it's "anyone". Thanks!
mike
ffwd blog
web.me.com/mikejdunlap
Your tart is beautiful! I'm afraid I wasn't as patient as you were and opted for using tomatoes which took way less time. I'd love to try this sometime with the carrots and leeks- it looks so delicious!
Stunning! I skipped because I wasn't sure how it would go over here. Guess I should've made it just to find out. Great job!
That looks so AMAZING!! Wow. I am tempted to get the book so I can make it all too... maybe next month when things are less crazy!
Post a Comment